Saturday 30 July 11am-3pm
Old Museum Building, Bowen Hills
Come and see all QYO orchestras perform
Fun for all ages - Free admission
For the first time in over ten years, Queensland Youth Orchestras is opening the doors of the Old Museum Building to the general public for an Open Day. On Saturday 30 July between 11am and 3pm, all QYO orchestras and ensembles will showcase their talent in short performances. The music will include excerpts from Tchaikovsky’s Swan Lake and Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring, Holst’s Suite No. 1 for Wind Orchestra, Grainger’s Children’s March, and popular songs for Big Band.
Between the performances, there will be tours through the historic Old Museum Building and the heritage listed gardens (in full winter blossom), activities, music and food stalls. You can also find information about how to Join QYO in 2012, and apply for one of the seven orchestras. Admission is free for all performances and it will be a great day for families and anyone who is interested in music and the Old Museum.
11.00am Big Band: Grand Opening
11.10am QYS: Stravinsky - Rite of Spring (public rehearsal)
11.40am JSE: Handel - Hallelujah Chorus & more
12.10pm Big Band feat Astrid Jorgensen: Fly me to the moon & more
12.30pm WE: Grainger - Children’s March & more
1.10pm WS: Holst - Suite No 1 in Eb & Gershwin!
1.50pm QYO3: Tchaikovsky - March slave & more
2.30pm QYO2: Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake (excerpts)
11am - 3pm: Chamber Music on the Garden Stage: The Seven Horncruxes - Ward& Ball Jazz Duo - QYO2 String Quartet - JSE Quintet String Theory
- Sausage Sizzle: yummy sausages with onion and your favourite sauces - served by QYO members, Alumni and friends.
- Roam’In Wood Fired Pizza: enjoy a freshly baked, crunchy pizza from Roam’In’s own wood fired oven.
- Garden Cafe: freshly brewed coffee, tea and hot chocolates - and a range of cold drinks
- Poffertjes, a dutch speciality: hot pancakes, served with icing sugar
- Greek Cakes: enjoy beautiful greek style sweet and learn how to make them at home
Tours and Information
- Old Museum Tours: learn about the history and today’s use of Brisbane’s own, heritage listed Old Museum Building
- Heritage Garden Tours: join gardener Ian on a tour through the heritage listed gardens and enjoy winter blossoms
- QYO applications: Interested in joining QYO in 2012? Learn about QYO’s annual program and how to apply from QYO conductors, auditioners and tutors.
- Music Shop Stalls: Three great Music Shops will present their offer at the Old Museum Building: Theme & Variations, Ilia Grawert Violins and Doxe Violins. Please visit their stalls in Studio 1
- Craft Stalls: coming soon…
- Giant Slide Wave of Fire: One of the ultimate highlights of the Open Day is the 9m high (!!!) slide Wave of Fire. And the best thing is: it’s for all ages!!
- Chocolate Toss: try your luck for your favourite piece of chocolate!
- Face Painting: what about a treble clef? Or your own instrument? Come to the face painting stall and choose the right colours for your dream picture.
- Lucky Dip: coming soon…
- Raffle: comng soon…
How to get there
Old Museum Building, Cnr Gregory Tce & Bowen Bridge Rd, Bowen Hills
Parking available at Endavour Natural College in Water Street, at the Royal Brisbane Hospital and on surrounding streets (no parking at the Old Museum)
Public Transport: Brunswick St Station (10min walk), Busway station Royal Brisbane Hospital (5min walk) or bus stop Bowen Bridge Road